How can I help someone in depression?
If you think someone might be dealing with depression you might avoid them as you don’t know what to do or say or maybe you don’t really understand what its all about. To coonectwitht hem, here are few tips
- Make sure the person is closed one to you. Don try to help a stranger without their consent.
- Pick a quiet and private place
- Give the person plenty of time to relax and make an environment of positivity.
- Listen more than talk.
- Pay attention to their feelings
- Save your advice for later, if possible don’t give any sort of advices.
- Sit face to face.
- Listening isn’t same as agreeing, so don’t agree, just listen and try to understand the feeling
- Try to ask questions which are open ended in nature rather than stating answers. Don’t give them answers to their problem, simply ask questions.
- Offer re assurance and hope. For example, say “thank you for telling me how you feel”. Thank you for trusting me, I am here for you. Etc.
- Urge and assist them to take professional help. Make sure you are dealing with the most sensitive organ of human body- the mind. Tread carefully.
What NOT to say or do with someone in depression.
It is really important to be kind and accepting. If the person has opened up to you, which is a big thing for them, so it becomes absolutely important NOT to things that will worsen the situation-
- Tell them to buck up or snap out of it or its justa phase or make themselves better.
- DO NOT ENCOURAGE THEM TO CONSUME ALCOHOL, DRUGSOR ANY OTHER POTENT ADDICTIONS as a way of coping – this always makes things worse.
- Avoid them on later stage, they already feel alone, once they have confined in you don’t make them feel more lonely by avoiding them.
- Assume the problem will just go on its own.
- Judge or criticise them for what they are doing.
- Suggest or imply that they are weak and they should stay strong.
Is suicidal thoughts serious or just phases of cognitive or thought process?
Please please please take any thoughts around suicide or self harm seriously. Its okay to talk about it and its okay to share with your closed ones and experts. Don’t leave someone if they feel unsafe or suicidal.
If you think someone is having thoughts about hurting or killing themselves, urgent help is required. Contact our 24/7 helpline (number). Immediately contact helpline.
Always ask permission to contact services on a person’s behalf. But if you feel they are in immediate danger and they wont give permission, you may need to go against their wishes.